Sunday, May 10, 2020

Why is Mother's Day a Day and Not Week?

Greetings again, fellow quarantiners. I thought this week it would be a good time to recognize all the moms out there, the ones constantly in the trenches, quarantined or not. Time to give a well-deserved shoutout to the unsung heroes who keep families running under any and all circumstances. As women we do the heavy lifting in terms of creating new life, carrying  and delivering them just so we can then schlep them around for another year, at least. Then they get bigger and start talking. Adorable at first, sure, but then they start talking back to you, which can be decidedly less cute. Then you add in the realities of life: sports, music lessons, field trips, school projects, doctor appointments, and suddenly you morph into an Uber driver with ungrateful, complaining passengers.

Sums up my parenting philosophy beautifully. 

Now don't get me wrong. I truly love my children and would not give back one day I had raising them. That said, it was hard work, every day. So really Mother's Day? Are you fucking kidding me? A day to celebrate the family's unsung hero? It should be Mother's Week at a minimum! Mother's month would be even better. And, let's face it, most Mother's Day celebrations last about 10 minutes. Do we ever actually get a full day? Maybe a breakfast is made, a few cherished gifts opened, and then boom, it's over. Now someone is asking if their soccer uniform is clean and another is asking what's for dinner. Wait, that's it?



I admit, there were many Mother's Days when I felt profoundly disappointed. I think as moms we buy into the "Hallmark" notion of what this holiday should be, believing that somehow these gestures are  somehow going to make up for everything we do for our families in the previous year. They are not. If you think your snotty teenager is not going to do some grand gesture to undo months of eye rolls and disrespect, you're probably going to be disappointed.

We do all that we do out of love and commitment. I think it's not until you are a mother yourself that you understand how important this day is. That said, reach out to your friends who are moms. With no opportunities to have massages, get their hair or nails done, or any other self-care activity, they might need it. I have received several lovely messages from girlfriends today. In a weird quarantine world, these kind words mean more.

I will say my adult children, especially my daughter, are very thoughtful now. Even my son has come around. During his high school "asshole" years, I was lucky to get a Happy Mother's Day text! I think what we all want on Mother's Day is just a little recognition.

I truly won the lotto with my mother. She is pretty amazing so I am thankful for her every day and cannot imagine my life without her. Even more blessed that she is now my friend as well. You all have gotten to know her as well through her crazy Facebook videos. Yes, she's funny and crazy (in a good way) but she's also kind, always upbeat and very loving. My mom is certainly irreplaceable and I hope she knows that every day, not just on Mother's Day.

The Mother's Day gift that keeps giving...and sometimes taking

Two year's ago, I got quite the surprise gift for Mother's Day. My kids conspired and surprised me with a puppy. Wow, right? Yeah, I know many of you are thinking, "Oh, that's so sweet!" or "OMG, what thoughtful children!" Sure, he's cute, but so are toddlers. When was the last time you heard of someone getting a toddler sprung on them? Yeah, that does not happen and surprise puppies should not either.

The picture below is a screenshot from the video that Laura took of the moment it was sprung on me. I think it speaks volumes, but if I would put words to the expression it would be something like: WTF??? This is going to destroy my summer; no street festivals, fun weekend trips, music fests, etc. Now I'm suddenly on puppy watch; can't leave for more than 3 hours at at time.



Don't worry; my retribution plan is in the works. I'll be surprising them with a puppy at some time in the future, perhaps when they have toddlers! I mean they can save on puppy chew toys because the puppy can just chew on the toddler! Brilliant, I know.



Now do I love said puppy? Of course I do. I'm not a monster. He's absolutely the cutest pup in the world but that's two years out. You have heard of childbirth amnesia? It's similar. I've had two years to forget about potty training, being awoken in the middle of the night, etc. It's just been in the last couple of months that I can leave toilet paper out. But yes, he's now a treasured member of the family and even Marley has decided to let him live.

Has everyone gone bipolar? 

How's everyone doing out there? I think this whole quarantine is making people bipolar, or at least it seems to be having that effect on me. One minute I'm happy to be outside and taking the dogs on a walk and the next minute one of themmost likely Bowiemisbehaves and I'm jerking his leash and screaming "If you pull me again, I'm going to rip your fucking head off!" Let's face it; if he were a kid, social services would probably have been called. I never actually entertained the idea of actually decapitating my dog, but bursts of anger just seem to be emerging much more frequently. The road rage is...well raging, even more than normal. Seems like there are few drivers around these days, but somehow magically the same number of assholes. My F-bombs seem to be flying more freely.

I'm sure there are some of you who have popped off on kids, spouse, partner or yes, even your dog, but I'm officially declaring we all get a sort of cosmic pass for this kind of shit. We are just human after all. Tears too, and I'm not a crier, but recently certain music, a sappy commercial and I can feel tears welling. It's like everything is amplified a bit right now.  Or maybe we are all a bit bipolar these days. Probably yoga is the only thing keeping me from true bat-shit craziness so namaste, bitches.

I hope this finds you all well. For all the moms out there right now, I'm giving you each a virtual hug and hoping you are all having a great Mother's Day or Hour or whatever. Hang in there, summer is coming and eventually life as we knew it will return or at least some version of it.

Until next time.

Barb

Missed any blogs? You can catch up with the past blogs with links below:

It's About DamnTime: Barb's First Blog

6 Tips for Working from Home

Celebrating Love Amid Dark Days

Derelict Driving and My 15 Minutes of Fame

Pandemic Family Craziness

Are We Living Through the Greatest Depression?

Why is Mother's Day a Day and Not a Week?

No-Speed Naveed and the Joys of Urban Transport

Shapewear and The Costs of Being Female

Online Dating in Your 50s 

Golf, the Cruel Mistress of Summer

From Darkness Comes Light

2021: A New Year, a New Outlook

The Barbuda Triangle

Don't Call Me a Cougar 

Bidding Adieu to a Wonderful Summer

The Time Machine in the Garage

The Benefits of Being a Certain Age

There's a Sandwich in Every Beer

Remembering the Big Ass Christmas Party


3 comments:

  1. Spot on as always 😊. I remember that pic of you getting the pup and had the same WTF reaction. You’ve obviously adapted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb - Here is the mother's day (agreed - inadequate time limitation) that I posted on my FB page. I share it with you.

    Happy Mother’s Day to all my mom friends. Thank you for all your hard work, trials, tribulations, and efforts put forth in raising your kids. Oh yes - and all the while putting up with the shortcomings of us dads! Smiling emoji.

    ReplyDelete

Springing Forward With New Fur-ever Friend Freddie

I have exciting news! Are you sitting? Good. I haven't really paid much attention to this blog over the last month or so (reason to be e...